What is Weed Infused Olive Oil?
Weed infused olive oil is a cannabis cooking oil that infuses olive oil with decarboxylated Weed. It is an excellent alternative to smoking or vaping as it is more discreet and considered a healthier way to consume Weed. By making your batch of Weed infused olive oil at home, get can determine the quantity and quality of Weed and the quality and type of oil, but more on that later.
This article will explore the effortless way to prepare your Weed infused olive oil at home and how to use it.
Why is Olive Oil Important in Our Diet and the Benefits of Cannabis Infused Olive Oil?
Olive oil is an essential part of the Mediterranean diet linked to many health benefits, including reduced risk of Heart disease, Alzheimer’s, and Parkinson’s Disease. You can use Olive oil in many ways, including cooking, dressing on salads, or applying directly on the skin.
Proven benefits of olive oil include:
May reduce heart disease & stroke
It contains large amounts of antioxidants
Protective against type 2 diabetes
Has antibacterial properties
Combined with the benefits of Weed, it is a match made in heaven. Many of the health benefits of Weed overlaps with the health benefits of olive oil listed above and can therefore help promote your well-being if following a healthy lifestyle.
Weed Infused Olive Oil Recipe
- 14 g Decarboxylated Cannabis flower 1 cup loosely packed
- 1 cup Olive oil virgin or refined oil
Double Boiler Method
- Grind the Cannabis and decarboxylate it if it’s not already done
- Line a clean dishcloth in the heavy base pot or double boiler. Place the mason jar you intend to use on the cloth and fill the pot with water until the mason jar is at least 3/4 covered. Remove the jar.
- Insert the thermometer and start heating the water until it reaches 185° F. Reduce the heat source once the desired temperature is reached.
- Pour the olive oil and decarbed Cannabis in the mason jar. Seal carefully ensuring no water can enter the jar.
- Carefully lower the jar into the water bath. We suggest using a rubber tong.
- Slowly simmer at 185 °F for 3 - 4 hours. Keep an eye on the thermometer and keep the water below 200° F.
- Once the infusion is complete, remove the pot from the heat and carefully remove the jar. Place on a dishcloth and allow it to cool slightly.
- Strain the contents of the jar using a cheesecloth or paper filter into a sterilized container. Seal carefully ensuring it is airtight.
- Your Weed infused olive oil is now ready for use.
Best Olive Oil Type To Make Cannabis Infused Olive Oil
Olive oil has several health benefits, and it is vital to select the best-suited olive oil type your this recipe.
Here are some olive oil options available on the market today:
extra virgin olive oil
- the best quality olive oil; not ideal for cooking and heat exposure as it has a low smoke point
- an unrefined oil, best used for cooking and sauteing; the perfect option to make your Weed infusion
- lacks the nutrients associated with quality olive oil but has a higher smoke point and is suitable for most cooking
pure olive oil
a blend of extra virgin and refined oil; not ideal for cooking as it lacks the nutrients and health benefits of quality olive oil
Each of these olive oils has a different smoking point, and generally speaking, the lower the smoking point, the better the quality of the oil.
Our recipe calls for the oil to be heated at low temperature for extended periods, and therefore critical to choose the correct oil.
You will reduce or avoid forming free radicals during the cooking process by selecting the right oil.
Other Weed Infused Cooking Oils
We prefer these three primary oils; canola, olive, and coconut oil.
Coconut oil is good for frying foods because it has a high smoke point of 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Olive oil is preferred for salad dressings and dips.
Canola oil is excellent for baking and sautéing foods.
Calculate Potency for Weed Infused Olive Oil
We worked on an easy-to-use 1:1 ratio of Decarboxylated Weed and olive oil in this recipe.
Always start low and go slow!
The cannabinoid composition of the strain you are using will determine the strength of your oil infusion.
FAQ Weed Infused Olive Oil
How is Eating Cannabis Different from Other Consumption Methods?
Eating or drinking Cannabis is considered a healthier alternative to smoking or vaping as the smoke creates several combustion-derived toxins that may be harmful to your lung health.
It is important to note that Weed edibles deliver a different high associated with couchlock taking longer to be absorbed in the bloodstream and lasting much longer, often up to 8 hours.
How do you use Cannabis Infused oils?
UseCannabis Infused oils in food and as a topical lotion.
Depending on the oil used, you can add it to most recipes including;
vinaigrette and other salad dressings
pesto, chimichuri and salsa verde
emulsified sauces such as mayonnaise
pasta sauces and even stews
marinade and basting
What Oil is best for Weed Infused Olive Oil?
We recommend you use oil that can withstand gentle but prolonged heat. Avoid using green (young) oils with a low smoke temperature.
Can I Decarb and Infuse at the Same Time?
It is always best to decarb your Weed before infusing, cooking, or baking as you will get the best results with the most amount of activated cannabinoids, such as THC and CBD. You will also preserve most terpenes if you’ve done the decarboxylation process correctly.
If, for any reason, you forget to decarb your Weed before starting the infusion, don’t fret. It simply allows more time for the infusion. You will end up with a milder result, but it is not all lost.